Welcome to the Molecular & Environmental Toxicology Center
The Molecular and Environmental Toxicology Center (METC) at the University of Wisconsin–Madison focuses on biochemistry, carcinogenesis, cell biology, developmental biology, genetics, genomics, immunology, neurobiology, proteomics, and xenobiotic fate and metabolism research in a collaborative, interdisciplinary community of high-caliber students, faculty members, and facilities.
The Center houses an interdisciplinary graduate program, a summer research program, and two NIEHS training grants. Our T32 grant, T32ES007015, supports 8 predoctoral trainees and 3 postdoctoral trainees each year. Our R25 grant, R25ES020720 , supports 6 undergraduate researchers from underrepresented ethinic/racial groups each summer.
The METC is administratively housed in the UW School of Medicine and Public Health (SMPH), but our participating faculty and financial support also come from several other UW schools and colleges: College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS), School of Pharmacy (SOP), School of Veterinary Medicine (SVM), College of Letters & Science (L&S) and College of Engineering (COE). It is a truly interdisciplinary, cross-campus center.
HOT OFF THE PRESS
- Irving AA, Plum LA, Blaser WJ, Ford MR, Weng C, Clipson L, DeLuca HF, Dove WF. Cholecalciferol or 25-hydroxycholecalciferol neither prevents nor treats adenomas in a rat model of familial colon cancer. J Nutr. 2015 Feb;145(2):291-8
- Goswami S, Tarapore RS, Poenitzsch Strong AM, TeSlaa JJ, Grinblat Y, Setaluri V, Spiegelman VS. MicroRNA-340-mediated degradation of microphthalmia-associated transcription factor (MITF) mRNA is inhibited by coding region determinant-binding protein (CRD-BP). J Biol Chem. 2015 Jan 2;290(1):384-95
- Wong L, Hutson PR, Bushman W. Resolution of chronic bacterial-induced prostatic inflammation reverses established fibrosis. Prostate. 2015 Jan;75(1):23-32.
- O’Leary KA, Shea MP, Schuler LA. Modeling Prolactin Actions in Breast Cancer In Vivo: Insights from the NRL-PRL Mouse. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2015;846:201-20.
- Curran CS, Carrillo ER, Ponik SM, Keely PJ. Collagen density regulates xenobiotic and hypoxic response of mammary epithelial cells. Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2015 Jan;39(1):114-24.
- Johnson BP, Walisser JA, Liu Y, Shen AL, McDearmon EL, Moran SM, McIntosh BE, Vollrath AL, Schook AC, Takahashi JS, Bradfield CA. Hepatocyte circadian clock controls acetaminophen bioactivation through NADPH-cytochrome P450 oxidoreductase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014 Dec 30;111(52):18757-62.
- Rodríguez CI, Setaluri V. Cyclic AMP (cAMP) signaling in melanocytes andmelanoma. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2014 Dec 1;563:22-7. Review.
- Poenitzsch Strong AM, Setaluri V, Spiegelman VS. MicroRNA-340 as a modulator of RAS-RAF-MAPK signaling in melanoma. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2014 Dec 1;563:118-24.
- Baker TR, King-Heiden TC, Peterson RE, Heideman W. Dioxin induction of transgenerational inheritance of disease in zebrafish. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2014 Dec;398(1-2):36-41.
- Cholewa BD, Pellitteri-Hahn MC, Scarlett CO, Ahmad N. Large-scale label-free comparative proteomics analysis of polo-like kinase 1 inhibition via the small-molecule inhibitor BI 6727 (Volasertib) in BRAF(V600E) mutant melanoma cells. J Proteome Res. 2014 Nov 7;13(11):5041-50.
- Ivancic MM, Irving AA, Jonakin KG, Dove WF, Sussman MR. The concentrations of EGFR, LRG1, ITIH4, and F5 in serum correlate with the number of colonic adenomas in ApcPirc/+ rats. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2014 Nov;7(11):1160-9.
- Irving AA, Yoshimi K, Hart ML, Parker T, Clipson L, Ford MR, Kuramoto T, Dove WF, Amos-Landgraf JM. The utility of Apc-mutant rats in modeling human colon cancer. Dis Model Mech. 2014 Nov;7(11):1215-25.
- Blanke KL, Sacco JC, Millikan RC, Olshan AF, Luo J, Trepanier LA. Polymorphisms in the carcinogen detoxification genes CYB5A and CYB5R3 and breast cancer risk in African American women. Cancer Causes Control. 2014 Nov;25(11):1513-21.
- Singh A, Singh A, Sand JM, Bauer SJ, Bin Hafeez B, Meske L, Verma AK. Topically Applied Hsp90 Inhibitor 17AAG Inhibits UVR-Induced Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinomas. J Invest Dermatol. 2014 Oct 22.
- Schneider AJ, Branam AM, Peterson RE. Intersection of AHR and Wnt signaling in development, health, and disease. Int J Mol Sci. 2014 Oct 3;15(10):17852-85.
- Carney CM, Muszynski JL, Strotman LN, Lewis SR, O’Connell RL, Beebe DJ, Theberge AB, Jorgensen JS. Cellular microenvironment dictates androgen production by murine fetal Leydig cells in primary culture. Biol Reprod. 2014 Oct;91(4):85.
- Liu Y, Johnson BP, Shen AL, Wallisser JA, Krentz KJ, Moran SM, Sullivan R, Glover E, Parlow AF, Drinkwater NR, Schuler LA, Bradfield CA. Loss of BMAL1 in ovarian steroidogenic cells results in implantation failure in female mice. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014 Sep 30;111(39):14295-300.
- Schneider AJ, Moore RW, Branam AM, Abler LL, Keil KP, Mehta V, Vezina CM, Peterson RE. In utero exposure to TCDD alters Wnt signaling during mouse prostate development: linking ventral prostate agenesis to downregulated -catenin signaling. Toxicol Sci. 2014 Sep;141(1):176-87.
- Lanham KA, Plavicki J, Peterson RE, Heideman W. Cardiac myocyte-specific AHR activation phenocopies TCDD-induced toxicity in zebrafish. Toxicol Sci. 2014 Sep;141(1):141-54.