Professor in Medical Sciences
4174 Veterinary Medicine
Research Interests:Stromal Cells. Cytokines. PAHs. Leukotoxin. Endotoxin. Endothelial Cells. Modulation of immune response by environmental toxicants, role of apoptosis in the biological response to bacterial toxins.
Dr. Czyuprynski is a legacy faculty member of the Center. Students interested in his work should consider that of Dhanansayan Shanmuganayagam and Jae-Hyuk Yu.
The primary interest of our laboratory is studying mechanisms of perturbation of the immune system by microbes and environmental and microbial toxins. Under this broad heading, there are four major active projects:
- Immunotoxicology – adverse effects of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons on bone marrow cells and hematopoiesis;
- Bovine respiratory disease – focus on viral/bacterial synergism and the effects of Mannheimia haemolytica and its leukotoxin on the activities of bovine leukocytes;
- Haemophilus somnus – adverse effects on bovine endothelial cells as it relates to vasculitis;
- Host and bacterial factors that influence the pathogenesis of gastrointestinal listeriosis.
- Behling-Kelly E, Czuprynski CJ. Endothelial cells as active participants in veterinary infections and inflammatory disorders. Anim Health Res Rev. 2007 8(1):47-58.
- Atapattu DN, Czuprynski CJ. Mannheimia haemolytica leukotoxin binds to lipid rafts in bovine lymphoblastoid cells and is internalized in a dynamin-2- and clathrin-dependent manner. Infect Immun. 2007 75(10):4719-27.
- Kuckleburg CJ, McClenahan DJ, Czuprynski CJ. Platelet activation by Histophilus Somni and its Lipooligosacharride induces Endothelial Cell Proinflammatory Responses and Platelet Internalization. Shock. 2007 Jul 19; [Epub ahead of print].
- Woo SR, Barletta RG, Czuprynski CJ. Extracellular ATP Is Cytotoxic to Mononuclear Phagocytes but Does Not Induce Killing of Intracellular Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2007 14(9):1078-83.
- Kuckleburg CJ, Elswaifi SF, Inzana TJ, Czuprynski CJ. – Expression of phosphorylcholine by Histophilus somni induces bovine platelet aggregation. Infect Immun. 2007 75(2):1045-9.
Mentor to METC Graduate Students:
- Shawn Heidel (1999) and Paul Stevens (Masters-1995)
Mentor to METC Post-Doc:
- Todd Page (2003), Alice Yuroff (2004) and Alhaji N’jai (2007)