Professor in Biomedical Engineering
Wisconsin Institutes for Medical Research
Research Interests:Use of microscale physics and phenomena to create tools and methods to further biological and medical goals ranging from basic science to research tools to diagnostics.
Our goal is a holistic approach to understanding cell behavior that integrates in vitro cellular scale engineering to recapitulate important in vivo microenvironmental characteristics in ways that provide biological insights, aid in diagnosis/treatment and enhance discovery. While our particular interests center around cancer biology, our work has broad potential application across cell biology.
- Beebe, D. J., J. S. Moore, J. M. Bauer, Q. Yu, R. H. Liu, C. Devadoss, B-H. Jo, “Functional structures for autonomous flow control inside micro fluidic channels,” Nature, vol. 404, pp. 588-590, 2000.
- Beebe, D. J., J. Moore, Q. Liu, R. H. Liu, M. L. Kraft, B-H. Jo and C. Devadoss, “Microfluidic Tectonics: A comprehensive construction platform for microfluidic systems,” Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, vol. 97, No. 25, pp. 13488-13493, 2000.
- Liu, R. H., K. V. Sharp, M. G. Olsen, M. Stremler, J. G. Santiago, R. J. Adrian, H. Aref, D. J. Beebe, “A Passive three-dimensional ‘C-shape’ helical micromixer,” Journal of Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 190-198, 2000.
- Zhao, B., J. S. Moore and D. J. Beebe, “Surface-directed liquid flow inside microchannels,” Science, vol. 291, pp. 1023-1026, 2001.
- Walker, G. M. and D. J. Beebe, “A passive pumping method for microfluidic devices,” Lab on a Chip, vol. 2, pp. 131-134, 2002.
- Walker, G. M., H. Zeringue and D. J. Beebe, “Microenvironment design considerations for cellular scale studies,” Lab. Chip., vol. 4, pp. 91-97, 2004.
- Atencia, J. and D. J. Beebe, “Controlled microfluidic interfaces,” Nature, vol. 437, pp. 648-655, 2005.
- Dong, L., A. K. Agarwal, D. J. Beebe and H. Jiang,”Smart liquid microlenses,” Vol. 442, pp. 551-554, Nature, 2006.
- Yu, H., C. M. Alexander and D. J. Beebe, “Understanding microchannel culture: parameters involved in soluble factor signaling,”Lab on a Chip, Vol. 7, pp. 726-730, 2007.
- Paguirigan A, and D. J. Beebe, “Microfluidics, meet cell biology:bridging the gap by validation and application of microscale techniques for cell biological assays,” Bioessays, Vol. 30, pp. 811-821, 2008.
- Domenech. M., H. Yu, J. Warrick, N. M. Badders, I. Meyvantsson, C. M. Alexander, and D. J. Beebe, “Cellular observations enabled by microculture: paracrine signaling and population demographics,” Integrative Biology, Vol. 1, pp. 267 – 274, 2009.
- Young, E. W. K and D. J. Beebe, “Fundamentals of microfluidic cell culture in controlled microenvironments,” Chemical Society Reviews, Vol. 39, pp. 136-148, 2010.